Sunday, November 2, 2008

Simple Pleasures

This afternoon, the kids and I went out to swim for a little while. It was quite pleasant to watch the kids splash and enjoy themselves in the water. I tried to challenge Brayden to jump in from a different spot than he usually does, but with Dalton in the water, I didn't dare leave him in the care of Bailey for too long, and Brayden was too nervous to take on the challenge today.

Dalton really enjoys being in the pool. He splashes and squeals as he chews on the dive sticks. As we were getting closer to the time we needed to get out, I decided to go get in the spa to get warm before getting out. I don't have it set for too warm of a temperature, but warm enough that the kids like being there (about 95 degrees). Dalton really enjoys standing on the bench and splashing on the tile decking that spills over into the pool. As he was thoroughly enjoying himself, I found myself taking in the neat moment there with my kids. Brayden was playing with my feet. He finds such joy out of lifting my legs out of the water and trying to get me to squish his face with my feet or calves (part of his feet enjoyment he has always liked -- good workout for me).

(Brayden likes my feet.)


The girls were playing "Queen of the spa." They would take turns sitting on the step which served as their throne. The queen would then get to give out an order to one of the other girls to perform a "challenge," such as put your face under water without goggles for 10 seconds. They found this silly game to be so much fun and were continually rotating queen status and performing tasks as ordered by the queen. Brayden was all smiles and giggles with my feet, and Dalton was in heaven standing there and splashing.

It was just a simple thing, but I found myself taking in this simple moment. No fighting, quarreling or arguing. Each child happy and content and I was just a spectator among such amazing spirits. They are each so individual and unique with such varied interests and traits. I felt like I was the queen there, being so lucky to be their mom. I enjoyed the moment so much, and kind of felt bad that Shane wasn't able to be there to enjoy it himself. He would have loved it. What amazing little gems I have!

5 comments:

Morgie said...

Yeha. I remember that. That was lots of fun. Bailey like never got a turn to be queen because Kelsie and I kept on picking each other to be the queen. It was funny. Bailey didn't like our idea of us being queen over and over. We had so much fun!! But of course we got tired of it and got out to get in the shower and eat some dinner.

Cluffers said...

Sounds like a great mom moment! I love those

Kelly and Joe said...

I thoroughly enjoyed catching up on your happenings thru your blog (which is beautiful, btw!). It amazes me how your family has grown and what you have all been thru. It warms my heart to see Brayden's progress and to know that your family is cemented in values and truths that can see you thru all things...with JOY!

Thank you for posting a picture of your angel twins. I'm sure that Christmas will forever be bittersweet. I am sad for your loss but thankful you have your testimony.

Thanks for sharing it all. I wish we were closer!

Tiffani said...

So, are you saying that pool is the answer to no more fights between kids? Just say yes because I think this might be the straw that breaks the camels back into letting us get a pool of our own. (next summer)! Don't wait until next summer to post something new eeh!

The Calico Crew said...

Cheri, It's been a while since you've blogged. That is the reason you have been tagged by your younger sister...which expects you to follow through and not let the tagging stop with you!